Saturday, October 10, 2015

Saturday was a bake fest

We had a really wonderful family day. We went to breakfast where I had to modify my order do to weight watchers point. I guess that's a good thing because it really opens your eyes to what you are eating. I mean 8 pt's for hash browns!? No Way!! Anyway, then there was shopping and Halloween costume buying. (pinkie pie from my little pony) 

Caramel apples were first on our list. My husband was watching the Michigan game and my sidekick and I began to bake the afternoon away. I've never made caramel apples. But wanted to give it a whirl. I LOVE caramel and I can't eat the store made ones because of all the crap in them. I made our caramel apples with 4 ingredients not the 40 ingredients you'll find in store bought ones, which I find frustrating and annoying and ridiculous. 

Caramel apples:
Apples:


Butter: 8 Tbsps


Brown sugar: 2 cups



Karo syrup: 1 cup


condensed milk: 1 can



whisk, whisk, whisk! 


Yum!



Then we moved to pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. This was the first time I've tried to make these gluten free. I got this recipe before I stop eating gluten. I've given this recipe to a few people and whenever I see them made, I'm always so tempted to still eat them (but I don't of course). 

Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies:
  • 2 c flour (I used gluten free) 
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 c pumpkin 
  • 1 c shortening ( 1 used 1/2 c shortening and 1/4 c coconut oil)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla  (I used 1 tsp pure maple syrup because I wan't aware i was out of vanilla)
  • 1 bag of chocolate chips (I added these from the original recipe because pumpkin and chocolate are delightful). 
  • This recipe makes 24 cookies. I use a scoop but not sure the actual size. They can easily be drop cookies and you can make probably 48 cookies that way. 
Cream the shortening and sugar. Then add egg, vanilla, and pumpkin. Mix those well. Add all the dry ingredients together (exp chocolate chips). Once mixed add wet to dry. Mix well. Then stir in chocolate chips. Drop the cookies on a cookie sheet or use a scoop, I have a 2 tbsp scoop I use but the drop cookies are equally as delicious!  350*F oven for 15 minutes. My modifications made the cookies a 6 out of 10. They are usually a 10 out of 10, huge hit, people LOVE them, I take them to a lot of holiday parties. (They are my dish to pass at a baby shower at the end of this month at work). If you don't have a gluten allergy I would suggest the original versions until I can make the appropriate changes to the GF version. 






Then it was time to make dinner. I like to make this particular dish on the weekends when I have more time. Because...well it's time consuming!   Sweet and sour chicken. Its awesome and worth the time, plus it makes 2 meals and it always way better then next day! :)

3 eggs for the egg wash (these eggs come from a co-worker chickens):



I place my cornstarch in a bag with salt and pepper seasoning: 



I use organic, cage free chicken. It really does taste better:



Cube chicken and season with a little salt and pepper. Place in seasoned cornstarch:



Then dip in the egg wash and place in pan with canola oil. Brown the chicken and place in to a greased 9x13 pan for baking:



Then top with the sauce which includes: distilled white vinegar, ketchup, garlic salt, soy sauce, sugar. (amounts will be in the recipe at the bottom) pour over the chicken and pop in the 325*F oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. See time consuming. The whole things take a good 90 mins (with the 1 hr cooking):



We had our on some cauliflower rice, but I usually make yellow rice as a side. This version was pretty tasty! 


Yum! 

I hope you guys are having a wonderful weekend. Tell me if you liked these recipes! The sweet and sour chicken is 7 ww pts/ cookies 3 pts each/ no sure about the caramel apples..sorry. 

INGREDIENTS
  1. 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
  2. salt and pepper
  3. 1 cup cornstarch
  4. 2 eggs, beaten (I do 3)
  5. 1/4 cup canola oil (I usually have to ass more to my pan)
  6. SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE INGREDIENTs
  7. 3/4 cup sugar
  8. 4 Tablespoons ketchup
  9. 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
  10. 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
  11. 1 teaspoon garlic salt

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Start by preheating your oven to 325° degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat, then dip into the eggs.
  2. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and pan-fry chicken pieces just until slightly browned but not cooked through. Place chicken in a 9×13-inch greased baking dish.
  3. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk. Pour evenly over the chicken. Bake chicken for one hour, uncovered. During the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.
  4. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment